Synopsis of the Request for Proposal (Individual Consultant / Registered firm)
Solicitation Reference No.
ToR/KEN0118/001/HEALTH AND LIVELIHOODS ASSESSMENT/2023
Title of Solicitation
HEALTH AND LIVELIHOODS ASSESSMENT FOR
CROSS BORDER EMERGENCY IN ETHIOPIA & SOMALIA.
Issuing Office & Address
RURAL AGENCY FOR COMMUNITY ASSISTANCE AND DEVELOPMENT (RACIDA) Website: www.racida.org
Point of contact for clarifications, questions and ammendments
Email Address for submission of Proposals/ Quotes
Solicitation Issue Date
20th November, 2023 East African Time.
Initial Deadline for Submission of Proposals
3rd December, 2023 at 23:59 PM
Anticipated Award Type
Submission and Evaluation Criteria
Bidder must provide the below listed information
Mandatory Eligibility Requirement
- Must be an Individual/ Registered firm consultant
- Must submit CV of Key Personnel
- If applying as a firm, the consultant must provide a certificate of Incorporation/ Business Registration
- The firm/consultant shall not be sanctioned or blacklisted by any government or institution
- KRA certificates for all personnel to be engaged must be shared
Technical Evaluation Criteria
- Consultant Academic and Professional Qualification-20%
- Consultant’s Prior Work Experience – 40%
- Methodology/Approach – 40%
NB. The minimum technical score shall be 75%. Only the best candidate shall be engaged for financial negotiations.
Terms of Reference
- Background and Rationale
Rural Agency for Community Development and Assistance (RACIDA) in partnership with Johanniter International Assistance (JIA), is implementing a Cross-Border Emergency Relief Project in the regions of Dhusay Village, Dollow District in Somalia, and Suftu 01 Kebele in Ethiopia. The project aims to address the urgent needs of flood-affected communities, particularly focusing on internally displaced persons (IDPs) and the host community. The devastating floods have significantly impacted the health and livelihoods of these populations, necessitating a comprehensive Health and Livelihoods Assessment.
- Health and Livelihoods Assessment Objectives
The primary objective of this consultancy is to conduct a detailed Health and Livelihoods Assessment in the targeted regions, specifically:
- To assess the current health situation, including prevalent diseases, healthcare access, availability of medical services, and health-related challenges faced by the affected communities.
- To evaluate the impact of the floods on livelihoods, including but not limited to agriculture, livestock, income-generating activities, and identify vulnerabilities and needs for sustainable livelihoods.
- To provide evidence-based recommendations for immediate health interventions and strategies for livelihood support, ensuring the restoration and enhancement of community well-being.
- Scope of Work:
The consultant shall undertake the following activities:
- Review and analyze existing reports, data, and information related to health, livelihoods, and the impact of floods in the targeted regions.
- Design and implement field assessments, including household surveys, interviews, focus group discussions, and key informant interviews with community members, local authorities, healthcare providers, and relevant stakeholders.
- Conduct an in-depth assessment of the health infrastructure, availability, and quality of healthcare services, hygiene practices, sanitation facilities, and prevalent diseases.
- Assess the impact of the floods on livelihoods, examining agriculture, livestock, income sources, asset losses, coping mechanisms, and resilience strategies employed by the communities.
- Identify vulnerabilities and challenges faced by the affected populations, highlighting priority areas for immediate interventions and long-term support.
- Qualifications and Experience of Consultant
The independent consultant/consultancy firm must demonstrate experience and expertise as follows:
- A postgraduate degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Livelihoods, or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years conducting assessments and submitting high quality reports.
- Proven experience in conducting health assessments, livelihood analysis, and community-based research in humanitarian contexts, preferably in East Africa.
- Experience conducting field assessments and working in the targeted areas.
- Previous consultancy experience working with German Government funded projects.
- Familiarity with the cultural context, local languages, and socio-economic dynamics of the targeted regions is advantageous.
- Outputs and Deliverables
The consultant shall:
- Submit an inception report, including the data collection and analysis approach, data collection tools and a detailed work plan.
- Comprehensive Health and Livelihoods Assessment reports for each targeted region, including an analysis of findings, contextual interpretation, and evidence-based recommendations.
- A presentation summarizing key findings, conclusions, and actionable recommendations for stakeholders and project partners.
- Management of the assessment
- RACIDA & Johanniter International Assistance shall prepare a contract that the consultant shall sign to commit him/her; the consultant shall be answerable to RACIDA/Johanniter International Assistance team.
- The consultant shall be responsible for execution of the data collection analysis, report generation and submission.
- The consultant shall be responsible to assemble a data collection team.
- The consultant shall be responsible for the day-to-day management and remuneration and all other costs associated with the exercise including all field logistics.
- The consultant shall have the overall responsibility for the operational and administrative management of the assessment.
- Duration and Timeline:
The assessment is estimated to be conducted over a period of 12 days, tentatively starting from 11th December 2023 to 29th December 2023.
- Reporting and Coordination:
The consultant shall report directly to Program Coordinator at RACIDA and maintain close coordination with JIA’s project management team throughout the assessment process.
- Budget and Payment:
The remuneration and associated costs for the consultancy services will be negotiated and agreed upon based on the consultant’s submitted proposal, which should include a detailed budget breakdown.
- Confidentiality and Ethical Considerations:
The consultant shall take all reasonable steps to ensure that the assessment is designed and conducted to respect and protect the rights and welfare of the people and communities involved and to ensure that the assessment is technically accurate and reliable, is conducted in a transparent and impartial manner, and contributes to organizational learning and accountability. Therefore, the assessment team shall be required to adhere to the assessment standards and applicable practices as recommended by RACIDA.
Utility: The assessment must be useful and used.
Feasibility: The assessment must be realistic, diplomatic, and managed in a sensible, cost-effectivemanner.
Ethics & Legality: The assessment must be conducted in an ethical and legal manner, with particularregard for the welfare of those involved in and affected by the Survey.
Impartiality & Independence; The assessment should be impartial, providing a comprehensive andunbiased assessment that takes into account the views of all stakeholders.
Transparency: The assessment activities should reflect an attitude of openness and transparency.
Accuracy: The assessment should be technical accurate, providing sufficient information about thedata collection, analysis, and interpretation methods so that its worth or merit can be determined.
Participation: Stakeholders should be consulted and meaningfully involved in the Surveyprocess when feasible and appropriate.
Collaboration: Collaboration between key operating partners in the Survey process improvesthe legitimacy and utility of the assessment.
It is also expected that the assessment will respect the six pillars of data quality accuracy, completeness, consistency, timeliness, validity, and uniqueness.
Future Use of the Data
All data collected will be the sole property of RACIDA and Johanniter International Assistance. The consultant must not use the data for their own research purposes, the data should not be used by others without the written consent of RACIDA and Johanniter International Assistance.
How to apply
Application requirement (Submission of Proposals)
Interested and qualified consultants are invited to submit their proposals ( Technical & Financial), comprising a detailed methodology, work plan, timeline, CV, relevant experience, proposed budget, and three professional references by 3rd December 2023 to Procurement@racida.orgwith the subject line **“**ToR/KEN0118/001/HEALTH AND LIVELIHOODS ASSESSMENT/2023”